Energy Cost Comparison
Different energy sources are measured in different units: litres, therms, BTU, kWh, units, cubic metres and many more. This makes it very difficult to compare the actual costs for powering a heating system between differing energy sources.
For this reason, standardised units and costs are needed. We have done these calculations for the main fuel types. In making these calculations particular sources of data and assumptions have been used; these have been referenced. We update this on a monthly basis, however, we recommend the reference sites be checked for the latest fuel prices.
Average prices shown are based on the supply of fuel volumes suitable for a medium-sized domestic property (around 16.5MWh of annual heat demand), quotes taken from suppliers within the East Mids region. Sign up for monthly notifications.Find a cheaper energy tariff for your gas and electricity. Visit our Tools page to calculate the financial, carbon and energy savings from installing renewable energy technologies. For more information on individual technologies read our renewable energy information pages. NEW RESOURCE: Energy Price Trends 2011-2012. Energy Price Trends 2010-2011.
|Fuel||Fuel price (p per unit)||Unit||Pence per kWh (after boiler efficiency)||Energy content (kWh per unit)||CO2e emissions per kWh*|
|Electricity Standard Rate1||16.77||kWh||16.77 (100%)||1||0.517|
|Electricity Online Rate1||16.33||kWh||16.33 (100%)||1||0.517|
|Mains Gas Standard Rate2||4.67||kWh||5.19 (90%)||1||0.209|
|Mains Gas Online Rate2||4.61||kWh||5.12 (90%)||1||0.209|
|Gas oil4||46.20||Litre||4.94 (90%)||10.4||0.328|
|Seasoned Wood8||20.81||Kg||5.83 (85%)||4.20||0.026|
|Smokeless fuel10||40.76||Kg||8.11 (75%)||6.7||0.392|
*CO2 emissions (kg of CO2 per kWh) – These factors are based on DEFRA's latest GHG fuel conversion factors.
1. Electricity: Based on an average of the 6 major electricity suppliers’ online prepayment, credit and direct debit tariffs, including standing charges and VAT, but not Economy 7. Data used are the Tariff Comparison Rates (TCR) provided on the 6 major energy suppliers’ website.
2. Gas: Based on an average of the 6 major gas suppliers’ standard prepayment, credit and direct debit tariffs, including standing charges and VAT. Data used are the Tariff Comparison Rates (TCR) provided on the 6 major energy suppliers’ website.
6. Butane: Based on prices from Flogas.
7. Propane: Based on an average prices from: Flogas, and Calor Gas - 0800 662 663. Note: The bottled gas market is very competitive and prices vary. It is recommended that you contact as many suppliers as possible in your area for the best price. We have used the CO2eq factor of LPG, as both propane and butane are components of LPG and there is currently no specific GHG conversion factor for these
8. Seasoned Wood: Based on an average prices from House Fuel, Logs Coal UK, and Nottinghamshire Logs. We have used the CO2 factor as there is currently no specific GHG CO2eq conversion factor for this.
Note: The values for seasoned logs have been updated based on the latest information on the Net CVs of Seasoned logs from Biomass Energy Centre.
9. Wood Pellets: Based on average prices from Strawsons Energy- call 01777 248 749, Wood pellets stove, Forever fuels and Logs2U.